HERTITAGE AND PELOTE BASQUE
There are about 1,600 inhabitants in the municipality of Saint-André-de-Signanx. The village is located south of the Orx reservoir, on the first reliefs of the Pyrenees, before the Landes give way to the Basque Country. The village is a model: First the tower of the fortified church (XIII) on which rests the Count of Orx, who is none other than the natural son of Napoleon III.
The primary school shares its courtyard with the town hall and the pediment. Fente, the «Mosaique» room (shows, meetings, meals…) of modern architecture, is surrounded by a wooded space with very diverse species. Finally, El Trinquet and the covered wall regularly see the best players of the country face off in bare-handed Basque ball. Saint Andrew of Seignanx is a strong place of this ancestral discipline.
On leaving the village, you can take country trails that meander through forests, meadows, fountains and canals to lead hikers to the Orx Marsh Nature Reserve. Although the swamp was the subject of numerous drying works in the 19th century, it was not actually cultivated until 1925. In 1985, arable land became swampy again before being acquired by the Conservatoire du Littoral. Today is the first waterfowl wintering site in Aquitaine.